Surgical Oncology Physician Assistant
Full-Time Inpatient and Outpatient Role Serving AdventHealth Orlando
AdventHealth Medical Group Center for Surgical Oncology is one of the largest practices of that specialty in Central Florida. The practice has made significant strides in diagnosis and surgical treatment of patients with pancreatic, hepato-biliary and gastrointestinal malignancies as well as a variety of complex benign diseases such as necrotizing pancreatitis and gastrointestinal fistulas.
Our physicians are heavily involved in clinical trials, which allow us to be on the cutting edge of the latest medical breakthroughs in detection, prevention, treatment and research.
The practice works within the AdventHealth Cancer Institute which is the largest Cancer Center in Central Florida, recognized worldwide for its comprehensive, state-of-the-art care and reputation as a destination cancer care facility. We are dedicated to providing our patients with the latest treatments and technologies, managed by an experienced, knowledgeable team that utilizes a multidisciplinary approach to provide compassionate care that focuses on the most positive outcomes possible.
The Center for Surgical Oncology performs more than 400 inpatient complex surgical procedures annually with a heavy focus on pancreatic and hepato-biliary surgery.
Our Cancer Institute is accredited as a Community Comprehensive Cancer Center by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer and is recognized by the American Society of Clinical Oncology for its clinical research. We maintain research affiliations with the National Cancer Institute, Sarah Cannon Research Institute and many other health care institutions and organizations.
The PA-C, under the supervision of the Physician(s) who acts as the collaborative practitioner(s), is responsible for:
- Performs history and physical examinations of patient’s evaluation and treatment of surgical oncology patients primarily at AdventHealth Orlando
- Orders and interprets appropriate diagnostic tests, such as routine laboratory, X-ray, etc.
- Monitors the patient’s course of treatment and makes appropriate referral to either a physician or specialist
- Exhibits autonomy in the operating room when required
- Performs first assistant duties
- Writes postop orders in the recovery room, performs post op procedures
- Return phone calls of from patients
- Collaborates with physician supervisor and staff, as necessary to provide consistent care to patients and support to staff, including hospital rounds and inpatient consults
- Candidate will also see patients in the outpatient setting
- Main Location: AdventHealth Orlando
- Schedule: Monday – Friday; 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM with some flexibility
- 90% hospital, 10% office mixture
- Call rotation including rounding
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Strong surgical skills with OR experience in complex abdominal procedures both open and laparoscopic
- Strong clinical background with an emphasis on oncology related conditions
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Physician Assistant (PA-C) Studies
- 2-4 years of experience in Surgery
Required Licensure and Certification:
- Current, valid Florida PA license
- NCCPA (or equivalent) certification
- BLS, ACLS Certification
- DEA Licensure
- ONS Certifi
AdventHealth Orlando is an internationally renowned hospital that specializes in life-saving medical treatments, preventative care and pioneering research. Our healing network includes 30 hospitals and more than 100 extended service locations across the state of Florida. Everything we do is designed to fulfill our ultimate goal — to help people live a healthier, fuller life in mind, body and spirit.
AdventHealth Orlando is our 1,364 bed tertiary facility with close to 160 ICU beds. It is at the center of nine other hospitals around the greater Orlando area, which total approximately 3,000 beds. AdventHealth operates many hospitals across nine different states; 30 of which are in Florida. Our mission has remained the same and is to Extend the Healing Ministry of Christ.
Since 1908, AdventHealth Orlando has cared for the Central Florida community as well as patients from around the world. AdventHealth Orlando is an acute-care, tertiary hospital caring for approximately 300,000 patients a year. As the primary campus for more than 1,000 physicians, AdventHealth Orlando is home to nationally recognized Centers of Excellence for Cancer, Cardiology, Children, Diabetes, Neuroscience, Orthopaedics, and Abdominal and Cardiothoracic Transplant. AdventHealth Orlando continues to meet the growing needs of our community with the addition of the Ginsburg Tower, a $255 million 15-story facility that is home to the AdventHealth Cardiovascular Institute and a football-field-sized emergency department that can accommodate the treatment of more patients in less time.
Orlando is known as the City Beautiful. There is much more than theme parks here! Our community is culturally diverse and a great place to raise a family. We have excellent public and private schools. Orlando is also the setting for several colleges and Universities, including the University of Central Florida. We are home to multiple theaters, art museums, art festivals and film festivals. We are well known for our excellent restaurants. We have a vibrant sports community with national teams like the Orlando Magic Basketball and Orlando City Soccer Club. We offer year round pleasant weather for outdoor fun and are only an hour away from some of the most scenic beaches in the Southeast.
- Hospital Website
- AdventHealth Graduate Medical Education
- Orlando Hotels
- Orange County Parks and Recreation
- Seminole County Parks and Recreation
- Orange County Florida