Cardiac Critical Care Physician Assistant (PA-C)
Critical Care Hospitalists at Central Florida
SUMMARY: Serves as a member of the cardiovascular critical care team by assisting in management of critically ill patients in the hospital. Applies specialized skills and knowledge related to CCU and CVICU settings in which they practice. Contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, consulting and provides leadership to the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides direct clinical services for critically ill adult patients with cardiac or multi-system failure, within institutional guidelines and utilizing evidence-based clinical practice standards under the supervision of the patient’s physician.
- Obtains patient health histories and complete physical examinations and documents findings in accordance with hospital requirements.
- Orders and interprets appropriate diagnostic and laboratory tests, explaining the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of procedure(s) to patients, patient's family, staff and healthcare learners.
- Performs cardiopulmonary resuscitation and external cardiac massage; airway management including bag and mask ventilation, endotracheal intubation and extubation, repositioning endotracheal tubes; directing administration of life supporting drugs according to established protocols; and defibrillation according to Advanced Cardiac Life Support standards.
- Under physician direction and within the credentialing standards of the Hospital, inserts and manages arterial catheters, central venous catheters, pulmonary artery catheters, temporary pacemakers, and other procedures commensurate with an ICU environment.
- Interfaces patients with monitoring and instrumentation equipment, and directs and educates others in performing the same functions.
- Formulates and implements a treatment plan for acute illness management in collaboration with the designated primary supervising physician and/or attending back-up physician(s) and documents in medical records and appropriate narrative summaries.
- Assesses patients for changes in status and institutes appropriate interventions, including initiation of necessary emergency interventions to stabilize patient.
- Provides family-centered care by communicating with the family regarding the changing health care needs of their family member.
- Utilizes current research and evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice.
- Participates and assists with the pre-, peri-, and postoperative management of the cardiac transplant, ventricular assist device, and ECMO patient in the OR and ICU’s.
- Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research.
- Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization.
- Demonstrates responsibility for professional practice through active participation in professional organizations and continuing education.
- Board Certification as Physician Assistant;
- Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support certificate.
- Required: 1-2 years’ experience as a PA-C in one of the following: Cardiac Surgery, Cardiac ICU or Cardiovascular ICU
Physician Assistant, PA-C, positions available at AdventHealth Orlando formerly known as Florida Hospital Orlando in the Cardiovascular ICU
AdventHealth Medical Group formerly known as Florida Hospital Medical Group is associated with the largest Protestant not-for-profit healthcare system in the world, AdventHealth and a national leader in quality, safety and patient satisfaction. AHMG’s advanced practice providers manage the treatment and care for our patients in the practice setting, as well as at AdventHealth’s eight campuses in Altamonte Springs, Apopka, Celebration, East Orlando, Kissimmee, Orlando, Winter Park and AdventHealth Waterman in Tavares.
- Immediately available are opportunities in CVICU at AdventHealth Orlando--one of the busiest Cardio-Thoracic Centers in the Nation. We are also one of the leading Heart Transplant Institutions in the South East.
- Transplant, L-VAD, Circulatory Assist Device and ECMO experience preferred but not required
- Procedures performed but not limited to: Lines, Intubations and Chest Tubes • Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits for provider and family
AdventHealth Orlando is our 1,289 bed tertiary facility with close to 160 ICU beds. It is at the center of eight other hospitals around the greater Orlando area, which total approximately 2500 beds. AdventHealth operates many hospitals across 10 different states; 26 of which are in Florida. Our mission has remained the same and is to Extend the Healing Ministry of Christ.
Since 1908, AdventHealth Orlando has cared for the Central Florida community as well as patients from around the world. AdventHealth Orlando is an acute-care, tertiary hospital caring for approximately 300,000 patients a year. As the primary campus for more than 1,000 physicians, AdventHealth Orlando is home to nationally recognized Centers of Excellence for Cancer, Cardiology, Children, Diabetes, Neuroscience, Orthopaedics, and Transplant. AdventHealth Orlando continues to meet the growing needs of our community with the addition of the Ginsburg Tower, a $255 million 15-story facility that is home to the AdventHealth Cardiovascular Institute and a football-field-sized emergency department that can accommodate the treatment of more patients in less time.
Orlando is known as the City Beautiful. There is much more than theme parks here! Our community is culturally diverse and a great place to raise a family. We have excellent public and private schools. Orlando is also the setting for several colleges and Universities, including the University of Central Florida. We are home to multiple theaters, art museums, art festivals and film festivals. We are well known for our excellent restaurants. We have a vibrant sports community with national teams like the Orlando Magic Basketball and Orlando City Soccer Club. We offer year round pleasant weather for outdoor fun and are only an hour away from some of the most scenic beaches in the Southeast.
- Orlando Hotels
- Orange County Parks and Recreation
- Seminole County Parks and Recreation
- Orange County Florida
- Hospital Website
- University of Central Florida College of Medicine
- AdventHealth Graduate Medical Education