AdventHealth Medical Group Critical Care at Central Florida
Physician Assistant, PA-C or Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, ACNP
SUMMARY: Serves as a member of the critical care team by assisting in management of critically ill patients in the hospital. Applies specialized skills and knowledge related to ICU settings to contribute to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, consulting and provides leadership to the organization.
General Summary: The APRN or PA-C, under the supervision of the Physician who acts as the collaborative practitioner, is responsible for:
- direct clinical services for critically ill adult patients with multi-system failure, within institutional guidelines and utilizing evidence-based clinical practice standards
- Obtains patient health histories, physical examinations, and documents findings
- Orders and interprets appropriate diagnostic and laboratory tests, explaining the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of procedure(s) to patients, patient's family, staff and healthcare learners.
- Performs CPR and external cardiac massage; airway management including bag and mask ventilation, endotracheal intubation and extubation, repositioning endotracheal tubes; directing administration of life supporting drugs according to established protocols; and defibrillation according to ACLS Support standards.
- inserts and manages arterial catheters, central venous catheters, pulmonary artery catheters, temporary pacemakers, and other procedures commensurate with an ICU environment.
- Interfaces patients with monitoring and instrumentation equipment and directs and educates others in performing the same functions.
- Formulates and implements a treatment plan for acute illness management
- Assesses patients for changes in status and institutes appropriate interventions, including initiation of necessary emergency interventions to stabilize patient.
- Provides family-centered care by communicating with the family regarding the changing health care needs of their family member.
- Participates and assists with the pre-, peri-, and postoperative management of the patients admitted to the ICU
- Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research.
- Ability to provide in-hospital coverage on a rotating shift basis. The shifts may include days, mid, evenings, and nights.
Training to Include:
- Credentialed, or in training for, the following procedure skills:
- Arterial line insertion
- Central line insertion
- Pulmonary artery catheter insertion
- Airway management
+Standards for initial training, proctoring, and annual competency requirements are found in the AdventHealth Standards for Procedure Training.
- Completion of the AdventHealth Hemodynamic and Procedure Training program and attainment of a passing score 80% on the post-test.
- Fundamentals in Critical Care Support Course. Sponsored by The Society of Critical Care Medicine. Strongly recommended
- Masters Degree in Nursing (Acute Care Certified) or Physician Assistant (PA) Studies
- Current, valid Florida APRN or PA-C Licensure
- Current ACLS and BLS certification
- Previous experience in the ICU (Preferred)<
AdventHealth Orlando is our 1,364 bed tertiary facility with close to 160 ICU beds. It is at the center of eight other hospitals around the greater Orlando area, which total approximately 3,000 beds. AdventHealth operates many hospitals across 9 different states; 30 of which are in Florida. Our mission has remained the same and is to Extend the Healing Ministry of Christ.
Since 1908, AdventHealth Orlando has cared for the Central Florida community as well as patients from around the world. AdventHealth Orlando is an acute-care, tertiary hospital caring for approximately 300,000 patients a year. As the primary campus for more than 1,000 physicians, AdventHealth Orlando is home to nationally recognized Centers of Excellence for Cancer, Cardiology, Children, Diabetes, Neuroscience, Orthopaedics, and Abdominal and Cardiothoracic Transplant. AdventHealth Orlando continues to meet the growing needs of our community with the addition of the Ginsburg Tower, a $255 million 15-story facility that is home to the AdventHealth Cardiovascular Institute and a football-field-sized emergency department that can accommodate the treatment of more patients in less time.
Orlando is known as the City Beautiful. There is much more than theme parks here! Our community is culturally diverse and a great place to raise a family. We have excellent public and private schools. Orlando is also the setting for several colleges and Universities, including the University of Central Florida. We are home to multiple theaters, art museums, art festivals and film festivals. We are well known for our excellent restaurants. We have a vibrant sports community with national teams like the Orlando Magic Basketball and Orlando City Soccer Club. We offer year round pleasant weather for outdoor fun and are only an hour away from some of the most scenic beaches in the Southeast.
- Hospital Website
- University of Central Florida College of Medicine
- AdventHealth Graduate Medical Education
- Orlando Hotels
- Orange County Parks and Recreation
- Seminole County Parks and Recreation
- Orange County Florida